The life of a geek in Manila-and points after.

Blog Archive

2006/12/01

3 Months in the Dark Side

It has been 3 months since I took the leap into the Dark Side. For those of you (all 4 f you) who don't know what that means, it means joining the Nikon camp. And it should be obvious that I came from the Canon camp, because only those who lust for the red ring would consider themselves the Light to other side's Darkness.

La Trinidad de Gabriel - Nikon D200 with 50mm f/1.8 AF-D


I had a good sum of money invested in Canon equipment, having stuck with the brand for over 6 years. As any switcher will tell you, it's something that you think not only twice, thrice or even four times about--the decision consumes your soul until you finally take the plunge (or decide not to.) I probably lost about 2o to 30% of my investment cost when I swiched, and the I knew I was going to--ganyan talaga. Now the next question is, was it worth it?

I can honestly say that I think the decision to switch was worth it--for ME. Do I recommend that everyone move over to the Nikon camp if they could? No--not really. Do I recommend first time buyers to consider Nikon? Wholeheartedly.


Anniversary - Nikon D200 with 105mm Micro-Nikkor f/4 - Manual Focus



Why did I switch in the first place? It all boils down to one model: the Nikon D200. Before everyone brands me a D200 zealot and swiches over to YouTube, give me a few more minutes to share my reasons. I wholeheartedly subscribe to the following schools of thought:
  • It's not in the pana, it's in the Indian (or more formally stated, it's what is between and behind the eyes that matters)
  • It's not the body, it's in the system
Let me jump ahead to my specific reasons:
  1. The Nikon D200 is one of the most user-friendly cameras I have ever used. It has a button for most of the controls I need--I do not need to dive down into any menu for most of the controls. ISO, WB, Quality Settings, Drive Mode, AF Mode, Metering Mode, Flash Compensation, Two Command Dials, AF Point Selection--everything has a specific button or switch to itself.
  2. The D200 has better weather sealing compared to the equivalent Canon models (5D, 30D). I'm not a NatGeo photographer, but I live in the Philippines, where you don't only have to contend with rain half of the year, but the occasional boat ride, river crossing and/or kapitbahay-throwing-the-contents-of-their-arinola-outside-the-window. I can take urine raining down on me--I doubt my old 350D could.
  3. The D200 can use virtually all the lenses that had Nikkor stamped on it in the past 30 years--with metering! Since I acquired the D200, I have found several good deals on secondhand glass--quality glass mind you, that I would have a hard time finding equivalents on the Light Side. And I have not even tried looking that hard at all.
  4. Minor reasons:
    • Auto ISO--enough said. Ok, Nikon handles noise a bit differently than Canon, and I will say that Canon's images look cleaner at anything above ISO1200, but Auto ISO rocks (unless you forget to turn it off in the studio--doh!).
    • Flash commander mode--the Canon ST-E2 costs PHP9K. That's a 4GB CF card right there. Or half of an SB800 (which used to cost comparitively cheaper to Canon's 580EX--but admittedly not anymore).
    • Programmable Function button--can you say spot meter on demand?
    • It took Nikon more than 3 years to come up with the D200 (from the D100). Canon cranks out new models like there's no tomorrow. While I wouldn't bet that the D200's replacement won't come until 2008, I have a feeling (call it a Fuji-S5-Pro-feeling) that we'll get to enjoy the D200 as long as the D100.
I think I've already touched upon the non-D200 specific reasons--so it should be obvious that it's not really a D200 lovefest. I love my 105mm f/4 Micro manual focus--I love the 35-70/2.8 that I got from Ken. The capacity to even look at the second hand glass available in Hidalgo and go back 30 years is very much appreciated. I am looking forward to acquiring a pair of SB800's when the budget allows and using flash commander mode, which btw, is also available in the D80 (take that 400D and 30D!).



Bagyo 1 - Nikon D200 with 105mm Micro-Nikkor f/4 - Manual Focus

Am I gushing? No not really. I do have some gripes. For one, the lens cap and body caps don't lock. Ok I'm kidding--there were adjustment issues, and there are some issues to be resolved:

Adjustment issues:
  • All the lens controls are reversed. This includes zooming on zoom lenses, focusing, and the most confusing during the first few weeks: mounting and un-mounting lenses. It took me a while to get used to the polar difference between Canon EF-mount and Nikon whatever-mount difference. Not a monumental problem really.
  • Lack of Canon-equivalent-bundled software. C'mon Nikon, why can't you give us Nikon Capture along with the body? I don't really need it, but if Sandisk can bundle Capture One (albeit the LE version) along with a 2GB CF card that cost a fraction of a D200, why can't you support the serious hobbyist by giving us the software along with the body? The pro's can afford the $99--I'd rather spend it on flash or other accessories.
  • Smaller secondhand market. I admit, I do envy the Light Side--if you look at the traffic in the local forums, the Canon secondhanders positively flood the market with great deals. On the other hand, it could mean something else...
Gripes and/or concerns that have not gone away:
  • This nagging feeling that I may need Marvin Plaza-level support someday. But hey, I'm a hobbyist.
  • Accessories cost an arm and a leg. Remote shutter release? Cheapest 1st party one costs $100. My remote trigger for the 350D was just $20. Granted, it would not work on the 30D and 5D anyway, which the D200 goes against. The battery grip costs an arm and a leg too. And the battery: no 3rd party availability because of the fancy monitoring funcitons built into the new ENL3whatever battery.
  • Minor: the Nikkor 50mm/1.8 costs almost 50% more than the Canon equivalent. Granted, it is better looking. But it's not the plastic that takes the light in does it?
Again, overall I am happy Dark Side camper. The switch was worth the agony of saying goodbye to my old system. But again, it's not for everyone--if you don't have more than one compelling reason to switch--don't. In the end it's a matter of personal taste and mindset--heck I know people who maintain both systems--but the clincher is they can afford it (as in they-crap-money-can-afford-it). For us empleyados, just stick with the system that keeps you happy.

On the other hand, if you're jumping on the DSLR wagon, the D80 does look mighty interesting.... ;-)



Bagyo 2 - Nikon D200 with 105mm Micro-Nikkor f/4 - Manual Focus


No comments:

About Me

email me at arvinyason at gmail dot com